What’s Happening- Summer 2017 (Harrison Hot Springs, Agassiz, Hope).
Now that it’s May, vacation planning is (or should be!) well underway. I know that the B&B schedule is booking up quickly and all our farm activities are shifting into high gear! In this post, I’ve put together a bit of a “quick look” at what’s happening at our end of the valley (Harrison Hot Springs, Agassiz and Hope) in Summer 2017.
- Love art? Check out the Harrison Arts Show on May 20 and 21! Find it at the Harrison Memorial Hall in Harrison Hot Springs.
- I don’t know about you, but I’m a sucker for history! See what life was like in the 1920’s by attending Heritage Day at Kilby on May 21 (Kilby Historic Site– Harrison Mills).
- Need for speed? Head to Agassiz Speedway on May 27.
- Also, on May 27 and 28, the 5th annual Seabird Island First Nations Festival is on. What an amazing opportunity to celebrate and explore the culture.
- This next one may be my childhood dream come true. On May 28, grab your favourite teddy bear… and I guess your kids if you don’t want people to think you’re odd, and enjoy a Teddy Bear Picnic at Kilby Historic Site.
- June 10– More racing at Agassiz Speedway
- Another chance to indulge in some history at the Yale Strawberry Social at the Yale Historic Site. This is a bit of a drive, but with breathtaking views, it’s well worth the trip. June 11.
- June 17- Agassiz Speedway
- June 18- Celebrate Father’s Day at Kilby Historic Site. They’re calling it “Black Powder Day” and you’ll be seeing muskets, pistols, bow and arrows and more. Music, crafts and of course a barbeque!
- June 24- Agassiz Speedway
- Sasquatch Days. Obviously go to that. June 24 and 25 in Harrison Hot Springs. Check out Tourism Harrison for more info.
- Kicking off July the way all Canadians do with Canada Day celebrations! You can find stuff going on in both Agassiz and Harrison Hot Springs! July 1.
- July 8- Agassiz Speedway
- On July 8-16- The 39th Annual Harrison Festival of the Arts. An amazing annual event featuring some of Canada’s most gifted artists.
- July 22- Agassiz Speedway.
- Perhaps my favourite event of the summer… On July 22, make sure you’ve made time to participate in the Agassiz Cycle Tour. Blackberry Lane B&B and Farm will be a stop on the cycle tour, and we’re already beginning our planning for this fun event.
- The weekend of July 22 is a busy one here in Agassiz/Harrison, as the annual Harrison Dragon Boat Festival is also happening!
- July 23- Pirate day at Kilby Historic Site. I’m thinking my kids will love this one!
- July 29- Agassiz Speedway.
- On August 6, it’s Heritage Day at Kilby!
- August 12- Agassiz Speedway.
- On August 13, Kilby Historic Site is sharing the love with their Visitor Appreciation Summer Carnival. In true Kilby fashion, this is an old fashioned summer carnival. I think I should have been born in the early 1900’s, because this sounds like way too much fun to me!
- August 17-20- Book a few nights at our B&B and make the short drive up to Hope (the Chainsaw Carving Capital on BC) for these great events. On this weekend, you can check out the Chainsaw carving competition and the Gold Panning Championships!
- The Plein Air Painting Festival is on August 25-27 at Kilby Historic site. You even have time to register as a painter! Deadline is August 15.
- August 26- Agassiz Speedway.
So, we may be a small town sorrounded by a couple more small towns, but there sure is a wide variety of unique activities planned for the next few months!
Let us know which one you’re looking forward to the most!
I’ll bring you another “What’s Happening” post later this summer so that you can start planning for fall and winter.
Ciao for now!